Thursday, November 17, 2016

Week 8

My nano-drop tests for this week have really affected my experiment. My hypothesis was right, the shelf life of lysosomes from egg whites for DNA extractions is not very long, less then 1 week to be exact. After last weeks DNA extraction and nano-drop, i repeated the exact same process this week only to obtain half the DNA results from 1 week ago. This brings the question how can I alter the lysosomes to extend its shelf life without compromising its chemical properties that allow for it to be used in DNA extraction? Can I partially prep the egg white and would the shelf life be greater? or to be more specific should I test a DNA extraction everyday to know exactly how long the shelf life really is? For now I will draft up my research paper upon this experiment drawing my final conclusions about the experiment and my obstacles and mistakes throughout this wonderful learning experience. This is a picture of my original Bacteria testing before getting into the DNA extractions.

3 comments:

  1. I think you should test it everyday because you never know what grows overtime. I also like how you are going more into detail the protocol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brian, how are you storing your extracted lysozyme? Enzymes are usually stored in -20 or -80 C using cryoprotectants like glycerol. Minimizing how much you freeze and thaw your lyzosyme can help it last longer, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The enzymes are stored at -20 degrees C, the enzyme is in a 40% ethanol solution per the protocol.

      Delete