Friday, October 14, 2016

Week 3 Unknown Bacteria

Today I look forward to receiving my sample of unknown bacteria and attempting to identify it using the techniques previously discussed, including but not limited to Gram Staining and Ziel-Neelsen Staining. If the results prove to be effective i will proceed with the results to the next step, but if the tests are ineffective i will research a third way to which i can attempt to identify the bacteria.

After receiving my sample of unknown bacteria I have begun my identification process by using a three quadrant streak plate method.  I took a sample of the unknown and streaked 1/3 of the TSA petri-dish. I took a second sample of the same unknown bacteria and streaked a second time beginning in the prior quadrant for one drag of the loop with the bacteria and streaking another 1/3 of the petri-dish, finalized by a third sample of the same unknown. Dragging it once through the 2nd quadrant and continuing to streak the 3rd and final quadrant. I then placed the petri- dish in the incubator which will allow for the bacteria to colonize over the next 24 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment